Saturday 2 February 2013

A cracking day out

I usually post about my father, but today it's all mother related. As is usual on a Saturday I take her for her hair done whilst I clemsit. He was really bright today. Now more unstable on his feet, he still managed the bathroom alone, and managed to stand to ask, very politely , for a brew. But then I went to pick her up from her weekly hair appointment and take her for the "big shop" . Don't worry we made sure he was safe first. We spent 50 minutes at the fish counter in morrisons. Another 20 at the veg section, and even longer perusing meats and cooked goods. She has enough food for a few weeks. On the way home she repeatedly thanked me for taking her out. Very odd. It's not about the weekly shop though is it. It's about a few hours of normality where every decision is not about keeping another person safe. That must very exhausting. Imagine an adult with the skills of a 2 year old, and you as main carer at 86, being asked to do it all. Yes day care come for 20 minutes four days a week, but is that enough? Admitting you can no longer do it is more upsetting to admit than the realisation that dementia is only going to get worse. On a positive note, they loved the tea she bought and she may even treat herself to the mini bottle of red wine. I told her to have two!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment