Thursday 7 February 2013

Inspired by Dirty Dancing ?

It has taken months to get my mum to face the possibility that my dad may need full time care. However she came round to the idea and yesterday took a trip to a dementia suitable home, very local. I had high hopes as his current respite Center is 40 minutes away.

 I rang last night and she would not discuss it, just said she was too upset to discuss. Strange, everyone I spoke to who had relatives in the home had really good reviews. It was too late to go round so I had to leave her.

 Tonight I popped round for a few minutes to drop off shopping so I asked why she was upset. She said the home was lovely, the rooms were nice and the lounge fantastic. I am not the brightest at times, so I asked what was the problem?

 Was is smelly?? (she has a heightened sense of smell, which unfortunately I inherited ) answer no. Was it dirty? She does appreciate a clean place, answer not that I noticed.

 Well as you can imagine I am now intrigued. Nice rooms, clean what more could you ask?

Well, what more could you say in this case.... Apparently whilst in the lounge she mentioned the D word. She admitted to strangers, that embarrassing illness that comes with greater longevity...... He has dementia!

 Well, blow me down, they didn't only go and show her the dementia day lounge. A small ante room to the lounge, no TV, although it has a window, with one small couch. They don't let them mix!!!!! No D folk on the main lounge!!!

 And that is why she is upset. I am sure there are many good care homes across the borough I live it, but was recommended, that's wrong. My dad and other dementia suffers are not second class citizens. They are people who have a condition. To their families they are the same as always. Only we can laugh at their stupidity at times, they laugh at times at their memory, if you are lucky...........but in the words of Patrick Swayzee ......nobody puts baby (or parents) in a corner!!!! He won't be going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment