Thursday 28 February 2013

Where's Betty?

Today has been one of those trying days . My mother was unwell last night but refused a doctor. I put her and dad to bed. He kept asking is your mum ok? I put him to bed with the words do not get up, do not let the bed get wet. Something as a child, I never imagined having to say to my dad, my kids yes, but not my dad. I left them and said ring early if you are ok otherwise ill be back. No call by 7 so I went back. She was still ill. Well not ill but really ill. She still said she was fine just a touch of a bug. Ambulance arrived, checked her, off to hospital for her. But then , dad. What to do? I can't get to hospital to make sure she is ok, when he refuses to get up. Two hours later I ring other half. Despite being in a really important meeting, and I mean life changing meeting, he came and helped. We got dad up. Cleaned him, stripped the bed, dressed him and kept answering questions..... Where your mum? WhÅ· are you not at work? Is Peter not working? Is there more sugar for my tea? Trying to tell a man with an attention span of less than a goldfish that he is going into respite, thanks Rachel super social worker for sorting that at no notice, 30 times in 20 minutes what is happening. We thought he had it then he asked for his lunch.....not a clue . After repeating and reapeating she needs to go to hospital for medicine, he still didn't get it. Two hours later on arrival at respite care he still asked where's Betty? I wish her a speedy recovery because he has no idea where she is..........and misses her

No comments:

Post a Comment